The Master of Arts in Sciences and Practices of Education is delivered jointly by the University of Lausanne and the University of Teacher Education of the Canton of Vaud (HEP-VD). It offers a balanced combination of the professionalizing approach of the HEP-VD and the academic approaches of the UNIL.
Note that this Master’s course is not a teaching diploma.
The student can choose between two degree courses :
- a Master’s degree worth 90 ECTS credits
- a Master’s degree worth 120 ECTS credits, with specialisation.
The degree course worth 90 ECTS credits consists of three parts: mandatory courses, free-choice courses (including the possibility of an internship) and the Master’s thesis.
The degree course worth 120 ECTS includes the three parts of the course worth 90 ECTS credits and, in addition, a specialisation worth 30 ECTS. Each of the two specialisation orientations offers courses taught not only at UNIL and HEP, but also at IDHEAP (Institute of Advanced Studies in Public Administration). It includes a mandatory internship. The two specialisations offered are :
- Evaluation and Management in Education
- Organisations and Transitions
Master of Arts (MA) in Sciences and Practices of Education
90 or 120 with specialisation
French. Recommended level : C1.
A good level of English (B2) is advised for reading academic texts.
Enrolment and final dates
Students enrol at the HEP-Vaud.
It is possible to start the programme of the Master of Arts degree in either the Autumn or the Spring semesters.
Applications to be submitted before 30 April (autumn semester) or 30 November (spring semester).
Candidates needing a visa to study in Switzerland must apply for enrolment at least two months prior to the deadlines indicated above.
Timetables and course descriptions
This Master’s degree offers training during which the student will acquire a set of qualifications, skills and experience that will enable him/her to :
- develop, enhance and complete his/her knowledge of academic and non-academic education ;
- identify and describe the characteristics of the main educational systems in Switzerland and at international level ;
- analyse the problems facing schools, from the learning process of students to the organisation of the school system and vocational training;
- evaluate educational policies and practices for life-long learning ;
- understand the educational process from a multidisciplinary viewpoint ;
- lastly, propose alternatives and innovations in the field of education, from early childhood to adulthood.
This panoply of skills, combined with specialist knowledge acquired in the course of studies, is excellent preparation for a wide range of employment opportunities such as :
- Public administration entities responsible for education and training
- Public or private organisations providing education and training
- Institutions active in the educational care of children and adolescents
- Companies with an in-house education and training programme
- Associations active in the educational field
- Research units oriented towards the field of learning and education
This Master's course is not a teaching diploma.