Reimbursement of fees for language tests for university exchanges
A number of our international partners, principally those that teach in English, require our students to provide a commercial language test such as IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge.
As a result, in these situations, we have no other option than to require our students to take a test of this kind when submitting their application. These types of tests are particularly expensive, at a cost of around CHF 300.00.
As part of its commitment to supporting the possibility of university exchanges for its students, the UNIL Rectorate has decided to cover the costs of commercial language tests required in relation to applying for an exchange.
Accordingly, from academic year 2019-2020 onwards, students applying to a partner university that requires evidence of a commercial language test can be reimbursed for the costs of the test concerned, by completing the form below, attaching the documents requested and returning it to the secretariat of the Social Affairs and Student Mobility Office (SASME).
SASME can only reimburse costs incurred by the student; no test fees will be paid directly by SASME to the organisation offering the language test.
Conditions and deadlines for a refund:
- The student must provide proof that the partner university only accepts commercial tests (copy of the exchange agreement form if it mentions it, signature of the faculty's mobility advisor for faculty agreements / SEMP, document or extract from the website of the partner university, etc.).
- Reimbursement is only due if the partner university does not accept a language certificate or the ISEP test from the Language Center instead of the test in question or any other document worth equivalence (secondary studies or bachelor's in English, maturity bilingual, etc.).
- Students are refunded whether they are selected for an exchange or not. On the other hand, the student who afterthoughts waives his application for the destination concerned will be required to return the amount paid by UNIL.
- The form must be submitted to SASME along with the application for general agreements on December 1 or following the submission of the application in the faculty for faculty or SEMP agreements on February 20, but March 31 at the latest (of the year of application for an exchange). For faculty and SEMP agreements, proof of the application for an exchange is required (since the application file is submitted within the faculties).
- Only one test can be reimbursed per student during their studies at UNIL.
- The test in question must have been taken towards the application for a university exchange at UNIL. Any test passed more than 4 months before the application deadline concerned by the student's application cannot be taken into account.